Sunday 1 February 2009

Much verbiage about nothing

2-3lbs this week and did very little exercise, I really need to focus on that, now I have steroid cream again that should make it a little easier.

Another quiet week, back on the prozac, but that should mean life gets more sunny soon.

Anyway went up to London with my Mother yesterday, arrived at the station at 09:20, it is having some work done and the electricity inside was out, so of five ticket machines and two ticket offices only one machine was working, missed two trains queueing for that, the coffee shop on the station seems to have shut, and there are works on the line so the journey was longer than expected.

Arrived at Picadilly at about 11:20 where we decided against dining as we were too early for a restaurant and didn't want to hang around waiting for them to open, so we went to Cafe Nero for coffee and a panini very pleasant. Then on to the RA, my Mother was agitating for the John Soanes Museum however I really wanted to see the Byzantium exhibition. When we arrived we found out that there was also an exhibition on Palladio, whilst I am not that interested in architecture the models of his buildings were very interesting and beautiful. The Byzantium exhibition was wonderful, I would have enjoyed more on the secular side of things, however it is definitely highly recommended.

There were a lot of Europeans around, both in Town, and in the RA, apparently with the collapse of the pound (apparently it has only kept parity with Turkey and Latvia) London is the place to go on holiday and almost all the hotels are full. It is an ill wind, although almost every shop round Picadilly seems to be having sales, so I guess things really aren't that good.

The Rock Circus seems to have gone, and been replaced by a "Ripley's Believe It or Not" I've been to the one in Orlando, in fact my favourite hotel is almost opposite, however I suspect that I will skip the experience in London.

Anyway on leaving the RA we went to Fortnum and Mason (Just a tip, but it is a much higher class shop than Harrods) where I managed to pick up a pound of Elvas plums for six quid :-) down from 24! Although their best before date was 31/01/09! Wonderful flavour, hadn't had them for years and was so glad that they were as good as I remembered them.

Thence back across the road to pick up some sushi for supper at Wasabi which I guess is an American chain, and is very nice, and very cheap, flying fish roe is up there with fatty tuna for me!

From there back to Waterloo, a cup of Nero for the train, and home about 17:00 for a quiet night.

2 comments:

  1. Hey SS! I love reading about your everyday life in London. I went to school in Richmond, Surrey and at the University of London Union. I'd love to go back there one day. So it's great to follow you in your daily travels! Have fun in the snow! Scarlett

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like reading about your life, too. Not boring to me!

    ReplyDelete