Wednesday 10 June 2009

The last day (part 1)

Day the last

Rewinding a bit to the night before, I dragged myself away from the falls and back to the hotel where I brushed myself and prepared for my third peepmeet! On my way out I went to see the concierge about how I was going to get to the airport, he told me to come back when I wanted to leave and he would arrange a taxi for me to catch a bus from somewhere in Niagara to the airport.

Left the hotel, and walked to the restaurant where we were meeting, as Meemo had said it was a very short walk from the Hilton. One arrived there about five to six and as it was another lovely evening sat out on the patio, when the (very young seeming) waiter arrived I ordered a Margarita which tasted creamy when it came, which was a little strange.

I sat there firstly wishing I had bought a book with me, and then paranoid that there was another Coco’s in the falls area, and that I was in the wrong one, until about a quarter past when a car drove past driven by what looked like Pepe, with someone who looked a lot like Pene waving at me in it.

Having found a parking space they then joined me at the table, and we had a little chatette, Pene was looking exuberant and full of life, although the kick-ass leather jacket didn’t make an appearance, and Pepe seemed cheerful and relaxed, which is more than I would have been after a 45 minute drive.

I remember reading once of an Italian woman who spoke Italian so well that even people who didn’t speak the language were able to understand her, Pene was a lot like that, when she was saying things to me I understood exactly what she was saying although to be fair she didn’t say much, and she and Pepe had quite a bit of trouble persuading the waiter to bring them the dessert menu.

Then Meemo arrived, it really was a great pleasure to meet him as well, he was a lot younger than I was expecting, even after having seen the Niagara Grand Peep Meet photographs, talking of which, the big meal in that meet took place at “Tu Tu Tango” which is a North American chain, but none the worse for that, I always pop there in Orlando, and last time I was there the seared tuna sashimi was one of the best things I have ever had (OK I feel very guilty now, but I didn’t know how close non-skipback tuna was to extinction then). Anyway it appears that it didn’t do that well in Niagara so Meemo tells me it shut down a couple of years ago, our restaurant was literally a hundred feet from where it had been.

And then Seana arrived armed with a pad, alas too late for the dessert menu problems, looking sprightly and spiky, around this time Meemo and I started eating our Pizzas, not sure what his was like, however mine was OK, I have to admit that I really prefer Neapolitan pizza (after all that is where it all started, although to be fair putting a bit of cheese and tomato on a bit of bread and then sticking it in the oven isn’t one of the more complicated recipes) although I don’t mind Roman pizza, I guess I need to go to Chicago to actually find out what American pizza should be like.

Then much chat ensued, and hopefully an enjoyable time was had by all, it was a delight to meet Pene, Pepe, and Meemo, and meeting Seana for a second time just reinforced to me just what a wonderful person she is The party broke up quite early as everyone except me had quite a journey to get home. Meemo’s tip: There was a fudge shop under the Rainbow Bridge which was the best fudge in town, not sure if it is still there though. Seana’s tip: Clifton Hill is tacky but fun.

A good nights sleep, and then another breakfast where it felt that I was over the horseshoe falls as I was eating it, the view was even more amazing than it had seemed the previous day, then completed my packing and sadly left the beautiful suite.

Dropped the suitcase with the bell boy, and then asked for the car to be bought round, I was somewhat worried about taking it between cars parked on either side, however they told me that it would be at least half an hour for the car to be delivered or if I preferred I could have a lift down to the parking area. As it turns out the parking area was a surface car park, and the drive to drop the car off was actually very pleasant, wide roads and very little traffic.

Dropped the car off and got a taxi to the top of Clifton hill, and wended my way down to the secret gardens, a lot of things to do and see, however I didn't really feel like any of it, had a walk round the Secret Gardens which really are rather nice, and then caught the bus down to Table Rock looked aghast again at the falls just in front of me, and then went behind the falls. A lift which meant I had no problems getting there, and it really was spectacular.

Once I had sated myself with that I went back up the railway and popped into Applebees for lunch, I had a triple thingy there, the baby burgers were very poor, the popcorn type prawns were OK, and the buffalo wings were OK (who knew Buffalo had wings!) Then went back to the hotel. retrieved my case and spoke to the concierge who told me I would have to get a taxi to the airport for about $130, when I pressed him on the bus option I had been told of the day before he said I could get a greyhound to Toronto city but not the airport, and that it cost about $100 from Toronto city to the airport. By now I knew he was bulls***ing me and was presumably on a kickback from the taxi firm in Niagara.

So I sat down in the bar pulled out the lappie and discovered that there is a bus company that picks up from hotels in Niagara and booked myself on the 16:30 bus. It didn't save me much money, but I felt much better because I knew nothing went to the conman concierge. Drank a Niagara Blonde beer and an hour or so later the minibus turned up outside the hotel only a quarter of an hour late. We then drove through town picking up some other people, made our way to a cetral point where a few more people got on and then set off for the airport.

5 comments:

  1. I can't tell if your last day was chuff or not. I think it was but am rather concerned about advice given on the sirport run.

    But am really glad you got home safe. It was incredible meeting you considering that most of us OT'ers are 'mericans or Ca-knuckleheads.

    It was rather special to include a person to our family from across the pond.

    Big Hugs and Kisses!

    A memory of a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chicago pizza is just Chicago pizza - there are plenty of Americans who would disagree that Chicago pizza is American pizza (New Yorkers, mainly.)

    Chicago pizza is not something that everyone loves, as it is very thick and the crust is as much the star of the dish as the fillings.

    If/When you come here I can suggest the tour of Chicago pizzas so you can choose your favorite. Mine is Lou Malnatti's.

    I've stayed in that Hilton in Niagara - excellent choice and yes the restaurant at the top has a spectacular view.

    Glad you had a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you MC, the last day was actually quite pleasant, I just meandered and chilled which suited me to a T.

    It really was very good to meet all of you as well, 7 OTers, four of them twice :-) when all memories of the trip have faded I think I will still have Niagara and the kindness, generosity, and "making me feel comfortable and feeling I've known you for years"ness of all of you.

    I may have to try Chicago Pizza, I have only enjoyed Pizza in Italy, however I know it is meant to be good in the US as well.

    Ah the Hilton, the joys of a HHonours card ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky you to have people to meet on your vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny you should comment about American pizza. Last night a friend told me about a pizza tour she and her husband are doing this weekend "A Slice of Brooklyn Pizza tour" I couldn't get the link to post. I think it sounds like a blast and if she gives it a rave, I will do it too. I don't think there is any such thing as "American" pizza at least in the Northeast. You get whatever kind of pizza from wherever the owner is from (and there are a lot of Greeks who own pizza joints too). The thickness of the crust varies from place to place.

    Whenever I next visit Niagara Falls, I want to stay at the Hilton. It sounds like a beautiful location!

    ReplyDelete