Wednesday 3 June 2009

Niagara Falls - Day 1 - Terrifying day

Woke up at not long after six this morning, bathed, brushed my teeth twice! and generally pootled until eight thirtyish, then popped up for a couple of baby croissants for breakfast, checked out and got a taxi to the airport. I asked him to drop me at the arrivals terminal, however he for some reason of his own decided to drop me at the car pick-up point. Managed to persuade them to do the paperwork though instead of having to get into the terminals. I had asked for the smallest type of car, as that is what I am used to driving, and turned them down when they told me it would only be $5 to upgrade to the next level of car, unfortunately they then did it for free.

I don't even want to think of that drive, it was the single most frightening experience of my life, completely terrifying, when I arrived at the hotel drenched in sweat and pale as a ghost the chappie told me to drive the car through cars either side of the road, I refused, I know I would have hit at least one of them. And I have to do it again on Friday. I am thinking about phoning Avis, and telling them that they can pick up the car here, and getting a bus or train or something to the airport, that would be the sensible thing to do anyway.

Once I had arrived and had a couple of restorative cigarettes, I tried to check in, unfortunately it was only 11:50 (doesn't time go slowly when adrenaline kicks in) and my room was not ready. So I left my bag with the boots, and ambled around town, or at least I got as far as the Incline railway, and then went down on that. The horseshoe falls looked most impressive and you could really see the spume rising from the whirlpool. Ambled around outside, not sure if it was raining, or if it was the spume from the waterfall being blown around. It certainly comes up higher than the falls and one can see the wind blowing it around.

Did an experience called Niagara's Fury, which really isn't worth the effort, there is a cute little animated film which is supposed to explain the formation of the falls, but doesn't. And then there is a film with various water effects in it snow blowing at you, water being blown at you etc. and all in all it was a little dull. Then ambled out to look at the falls again, and then decided it was time for lunch. Now in the building I was in there was a restaurant called "Elements" which served a bison burger, which is something I have wanted to try, so I went in there, and had a seat right by the window overlooking the horseshoe falls, simply a stunning view, sadly the burger seemed to be a mass produced one, even more mass produced than the ones I used to flog, but the chips were nice, the margarita was OK, and as I say the view was simply stunning!

Then ambled a little more, then tried to find a t-shirt in my size, no dice sadly, oh I did forget to mention that I did the same thing yesterday in the St. Lawrence market, there was one t-shirt that took my eye, it said "Give me my Timmies, and no-one gets hurt" anyway again there I was ambling round in Calvin Klein (a little tight, but liveable) and I cannot find a t-shirt to fit :-(

Managed to resist buying sweets, however if I can catch up with Meemo I will find out where all the good fudge places are, talking of which I finally remembered to mail Meemo, I kept remembering that I had to do that, but kept forgetting when I was at my computer :-(

Caught the railway back up and purchased a combo ticket, which will allow me to do the people mover for two days, the maid of the mist, the white water walk, the journey behind the falls, Niagara's fury (hurrah /sarcastic) and will give me cheap entry to the butterfly conservatory, plus a free bear claw! No idea what a bear claw is, unless it is something that has been ripped from a bear which seems unlikely, however it doesn't matter, because it is free!

Haven't heard from Pepe yet, although I know he has been speaking to Seana. Side note, I use the term "talked to" about e-mail, is that correct? How does one converse in a letter, is that talking to someone?

Anyway arrived at the hotel at about 16:15 and eventually managed to check in, not a smoking room this time, but a most impressive suite, with a gorgeous view of the American falls, from the level they look good, but not that impressive, however looking at them from the window in the bedroom, they are really most impressive. There seems to be a walkway down to the bottom of them from Goat Island, not sure if that was there last time I came, however I really cannot be bothered with the US Immigration service, so I don't think I will be popping over.

Thinking of going to Niagara on the Lake this evening, where MC tells me I must try the wings at the Anchorage, taxi there and back though!

2 comments:

  1. Yum! Bear Claws! Hope you like them! They are a pastry that I find terribly yummy=- and try hard to stay away from - to protect my now more girlish figure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't expect too much fine dining at the Anchorage! Just good ol' wings!

    There are many more poncy restaurants that have very fine dining in NOTL. Are old historical inns. You'll really enjoy a good amble around there.

    Bear claws are a baked Canadian delicacy. Barack Obama famously had them when he visited Ottawa. It was all the rage!

    ReplyDelete