Thursday 4 June 2009

Niagara Falls - Day 2 - wimping day

Ah dear, I seem to have come over all pathetic.

Let me continue last night, I went down to Romano's Macaroni which is in the hotel, neither the hostess or waitress seemed to believe that I had never been to one before, however not only had I never been to one, I had never even heard of the chain. I was seated, and the waitress asked me if I wanted bread, I answered yes, and lo a bill for bread appeared on my bill, I was a little disappointed by the sheer mercenaryness of that. However I ordered some Lobster ravioli which came with prawns and asparagus, which was very toothsome and a glass of "white zinfandel" which turned out to be rose, but none the less pleasing.

Then had a couple of cigarettes, and went to my room, then about eight the power went out, I called up, and they told me that someone would be with me soon, I then called up an hour and an half later, to be told that it wasn't just me, but a large portion of the hotel had no power, however it would be back soon.

When I woke up this morning at about six there was still no power, have to admit I woke not right, I really have problems when I am not surrounded by noise, I get sort of nervous, so there I was at far too early o'clock feeling iffy and having to go outside for a fag. So I went out, and on my way back asked reception a) when would my leclec be back on? . if I could access the internet somewhere? and where is my free breakfast? <33rd>. Oh probably forgot to say that I am on the 21st floor of the North tower with a lovely view of the American falls.

So I went to breakfast, there is an EMTs of Canadia convention going on, so I seemed to be almost the only person in the restaurant not in uniform! My seat was by the window with a gorgeous view of both sets of falls, it was absolutely lovely, and for some reason I was not nervous at all. Persuaded the omlette chef to give me one fried egg, which I had with sausages, that were the best I have had this trip, but still weren't fantastic, just a little over flavoured, and a little bit of bacon (still not the Canadian bacon I used to enjoy so much). And then on a second trip round melon, very pleasant breakfast, waitress was a little pushy on the tip front though.

Then I went and picked up the lappie and managed to find a plug, so that I could check what I was up to this evening, fantastic news, I am going to meet Pepe, Meemo, and get to see Seana again :-) Sadly a "witty" comment I made to Meemo about meeting up last night went down like a lead balloon.

Then packed up and set off for the falls, from where I am using the ascendor railway is the easiest way to get down to the falls, so I walked down there, only to learn that it doesn't open until 10, so I sat on a bench, looked over the falls, and tried to chill it was very relaxing.

Then on the railway, and a walk around getting wet from the falls and lvoeing every minute of it, and then caught the people mover heading up to the floral clock, in fact going up to the floral clock, the countryside around here is lovely, however I found that I had to sit on the left of the bus as I was too nervous to sit on the right, in fact by the power station I found myself perspiring despite the air conditioning on the bus :-(

The floral clock was quite pretty, I'm not sure what I expect from a floral clock, the only thing I can come up with is one as was described by Terry Pratchett, where the opening of the flowers tells the time. Anyway this was a clock under some flowers, pretty, however I am not sure what more I could say.

Then back on the bus and down to the Butterfly Conservatory, well all I can say is that MaroonClown will never lead one wrong (maybe astray, but never wrong ;-) ) it was incredible, so many different types of butterflys, and so many wonderful plants, I could never do it justice, I really cannot paint pictures with words, all I can say is that if you happen to be in Niagara Falls, then I would really recommend the Butterfly Conservatory, the gardens around it are wonderful too, unless you like looking at gardens don't expect much more than 45 minutes, however it is a fantastic 45 minutes.

Then caught the bus back to the secret garden, and popped in to the Hard Rock Cafe for a light bite, except as it happens their nachos are more on the family sized than I actually wanted, and to be honest a lot more salty than I would really have liked, I left half, as I am eating this evening. Purchased a t-shirt, hope it fits! Pepe, Seana and Meemo will be the first to know if it does! And ambled up to the Maid of the Mist, handed over my ticket, and almost had a panic attack as I was trying to walk down to get on the boat, closed my eyes and concentrated on breathing, relaxed a bit, opened my eyes and realised that there was no way I was going to be able to make it, and that even if I did coming up would be even more of a problem, so I walked back and out. I'm sure it would have been wonderful, however sadly I just cannot cope with it at the moment.

Slowly wended my way back to the hotel, got back at about four, was nervous on the railway, but survived it, then had a cup of tea at Starbucks on the way back. Anyway when I arrived back at the hotel I called Avis to arrange to drop the car off in Niagara, actually I asked them to pick it up, but they only have a small office here, so I will have to try to drive it to them, just really couldn't do the drive tomorrow, it has been weighing on my mind, and I really think this is the best solution. Spoke to the concierge, and apparently there is a bus that I will be able to get to Toronto airport tomorrow. Although I will have to get a taxi to the bus station.

Have had a spot of jellybotty and taken some tablets for it, however am now feeling a little bloated, hoping that I remember to have something light for supper!

So on my last night in Canada (well my flight leaves at 23:50 tomorrow night), I had a peep meet, cannot think of a better way to end this excursion, met up with Pepe, Pene, Meemo, and Seana, all of whom are really nice people, I had a lovely evening, and an interesting pizza.


4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great trip. I enjoyed hearing about the Niagara area. I used to live around there on the American side. I went to school at Niagara University for 4 years and lived in Youngstown,NY. The university is on the river gorge right next to the Power Authority. Youmight have seen it on your trip to the butterfly conservatory. It's before the Whirlpool bridge(I think).

    Lucky you meeting those peeps! I hope you have a safe trip back home1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Safely back home! Flight left at 23:50 Toronto time and landed at about Midday BST so I'm working up to writing the last day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you arrived home safely. It sounds like you had a nice vacation! But I bet it's nice to be back home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you made it home safely. Did you wave to me as you passed through Hamilton on the way to TO?

    Again, so nice to meet you Starshine. And twice, at that!

    ReplyDelete