Wednesday 27 May 2009

London Day 1 (no not that London, another one)

Awoke early again, 04:30, popped out for a crafty cigarette, and on my return packed, then I managed to fall asleep again for another couple of hours! I feel more rested now than I have done.

Really fancied eggs Benedict for breakfast (my best freebie ever was when I was staying at the Hilton in Boston, and had free eggs Benedict for breakfast every day!) however the hotel didn't do them and I couldn't find anywhere particularly local that did, so I forwent that pleasure, which is probably no bad thing. I hung around the hotel until about 10 and then caught a taxi to the main train station, I was expecting something like one of the big London stations with shops, cafes and restaurants, and was surprised that it was very much a functional building with just one fast food emporium and a couple of shops selling prepared food. So I went into Harveys, a very formicalike place and had a cup of coffee, which was actually very nice, I was tempted to poutine, however I think that would be a little too much for breakfast.

Arrived at my gate about fifty minutes before the train was due to depart as there is a half hour boarding time, and hung around for about a quarter of an hour in the queue then some chappie came along to write on the tickets (not sure why) and he told me to go to the "first class lounge" as there would be 10-15 minutes before we boarded. I acquired an orange juice and sat back with the Toronto Star, only to have my train called a couple of minutes later! Ambled up onto the platform and on to the train, seating was not bad, a window seat which was nice, however I think they need a lesson from the European trains on placing the tables, for some reason it was in the armrest, and not pulldownable from the seat in front, which is a lot more user friendly.

Oh I was reading "The Grand Tour" by Wrede and Stevermer, not as good as "The Enchanted Chocolate Pot" but still very enjoyable, I finished Wake yesterday, overall I enjoyed it, but I would have liked a little more depth on the characters, I didn't feel that I knew Caleb or Janie that well at the end, let alone the other characters. However I am still really looking forward to reading Fade when I get home.

So the train set off it was interesting, I was sort of expecting wild countryside and sweeping plains, but of course it is only a small journey in the scheme of things, so instead the scenery was either forested in a not wild sort of way, rolling like the west country back home, or, and it seemed mainly, towns and industry. Of course it is like this Canada is a real country, not some 1850's theme park for me to enjoy with my modern amenities, although if I did ever make it to Edmonton I suppose I could be proved wrong (winks at Quertypie).

But why am I worried about the table on the train I hear you ask, well I was planning on rat-tat-tatting this away as I was thundering through the countryside with the train pushing cows off the track every ten minutes, however they wanted to charge me for that, so I decided I would do it later. However as I was travelling first class I got a "free" meal. The menu was a bit like than on an aeroplane, starter and dessert set and a choice of main (why do Americans, damn I'm not sure about Canadians, Why do Statsians call main courses entrees when the word obviously means the entry or start of a meal?) The starter was a "Neptune" salad (crabstick in a marie rose sauce) served with English cucumber (I don't know I've never heard of English cucumber, the stewardess wasn't sure either) followed by either pasta, fish, or chicken, I ordered chicken and regretted it almost immediately chicken breast goes so dry when it is overcooked, however it was gorgeous, I think it may have been reconstituted, but I don't care because it tasted so nice, and a Maple, Walnut, Apple, Spice, cake (how many ingredients can you fit in one dish) which I didn't eat. Along with this I drank some Ontario white wine, which is also most palatable.

Arrived in London, which is a little smaller than its namesake! And walked down to the hotel, ah it felt good to be in a nice hotel again, checked in, and didn't get upgraded :-( ah the hazards of being downgraded to gold, although I am allowed in the club room, which has a two drink rule! There would have been riots in Rotterdamn if they had tried that! Anyway I only felt like one glass of wine, and then ordered room service, PRE mussels (waves at MCM) which were very good indeed, although I could have done with some bread on the side. It is just luxurious to be in an hotel room where I can smoke though.

Tomorrow the Labatts brewery tour (if I can arrange that) and the Eldon house, as well as a happy walk round town, I was thinking of catching the train to Windsor they day afterwards, however it appears that this may take longer than I would care to take, so probably not, although I am still thinking of going to Kingston next week, not sure if I want to do a day trip or stay a night there though.

Yawn, time for bobblies.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, so you're a smoker.

    Looks like you won't pass muster at the California border, should you ever journey this far west. *sigh*

    Well, I have a word with Ahhhnold and ...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly yes. Actually I am thinking of SFO for my next trip, so we shall see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, did you notice the Thames River while you're in the 'other' London? It's the 'other' Thames as well... :-)

    Restaurants -- there's a number of interesting ones along Richmond St. just south of Oxford. By the time you get to Dundas St., that part of downtown London starts to get kinda dingy and bum-like, so you'd want to stay within about 7 or 8 blocks south of Oxford St.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love VIA1. The food, the drinks, the hot towel, the little chocolate thingy, the silverware, glass instead of plastic. Very civilized.

    When I can manage it timewise, I always opt for the train.

    Sounds like you're having a pretty good time so far.

    Love reading the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first class on the train was similar to business on an European plane, most civilised :-)

    I do prattle a bit on the blog, I'm glad you enjoy it, I try to get as much down as possible for an aide memoire

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eggs Benedict are my fav too! When I lived in NYC, I was a connoisseur. Every Sunday I'd go to a different restaurant for brunch in search of the "best" eggs benedict.

    ReplyDelete