Monday 25 May 2009

Toronto Day 3

Sleep still not going quite right, fell asleep at about tennish last night, and was up at about four again, still I am not feeling that tired, so it cannot be too bad. Had a Wendys salad last night, it was quite pleasant.

Anyway up this morning, a lovely bath (why are North American baths in hotels so shallow?), shaved, and tarted myself up in all my finery, packed far too many books in my rucksack, and set off into Toronto. Walked down Yonge to Dundas and realised that it was going to be a lovely day again, so put my jacket in the rucksack as well, popped in to the Eaton centre where I had two "breakfast burritos" from McDonalds which were not unpleasant, but I honestly couldn't tell you what was in them, and read the paper. The Globe and Mail really impressed me, not that many stories, but global coverage and quite in depth.

Then ambled round the centre a bit more and popped into Indigo, a bookshop, to purchase a notebook, as I had forgotten to bring one with me, and a couple of books, one of which was Wake by Wheezy! Thence to the Hudson Bay shop, which seemed to think it was all that, but failed to impress me at all, I'm guessing that they employ the makeup and perfume girls for their looks, as I was the only person around trying to buy moisturiser and they couldn't be bothered to serve me at all.

So then walked down Queen Street to Osgoode and had a very nice cup of coffee opposite Much Music and sauntered down to the restaurant where I met BYoffer (well he is known for taking peoples MOPS virginity) and were joined almost immediately by MaroonClown and Bullzeye, I had been a bit concerned about meeting up with people a bit nervous of how I appeared to them, and that they might be somewhat stranger than normal, however I felt quite relaxed in their company, I don't tend to really chat until I know people somewhat better but the conversation felt normal to me, albeit normal for a group of people who have sort of known each other for quite a while, but sort of have another way of knowing each other, dash it I am explaining this badly, it felt comfortable, yet more in depth than I had expected, very much play, always leaping from one topic to another. Really glad that I was able to meet these lovely people.

The meal itself was interesting, dumplings with beef and dumplings with veg, strangely they seemed to have grilled these, whereas I have only had ho fun steamed or boiled before, and I have to say I really prefer it that way, the curry was a little 80's but very pleasant, the noodles were OK, and the rice was really very nice. Sadly my traditional Tibetan rolls did not make an appearance until the meal was nearly finished.

After chatting and eating for what seemed like about five minutes an hour and an half had passed and everyone had to go back to work, and I walked up University Avenue to the ROM, which is a very nice, and I like the extension although I know that opinion is divided on this. After a very nice walk round, there is a fair amount of interesting Bronze age Aegean stuff which really does interest me, the bat cave was interesting, although I think I have done too much Disney as I was expecting some "bat flies past you" effect! And the dinosaurs were interesting, particularly the comparisons with modern day animals.

Then the tube back to the hotel and a Timmies! Off to London tomorrow, so I may be writing on the train, MC tells me the train is very nice so I am really looking forward to it, even if there is nothing to do in London!

6 comments:

  1. Yay for peep meets! Sounds like you are having a nice vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Star! Sounds like you've had quite a day in T.O.! You've hit on many of the good things and I'm impressed you got to walk all the way up University Ave (how did you like Queens Park?) as most people wouldn't bother walking that far up.

    Enjoy London tomorrow - we were just there this morning and enjoyed ourselves. It's quite a 'garden' town and there's a ton of good places to eat in the downtown core of London.

    Hope to meet up with you at the big peep meet next weekend! I'm definitely out for Sunday lunch, but hopefully there'll be a gathering some time on Saturday or later in the day on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and I agree with you on the ROM. I liked the old ROM (I grew up directly across the street from there so I went there almost weekly as a child as I was fascinated with the dinosaur displays), and the new extension is, well, meh for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Starshine! Glad you're enjoying your time in Toronto and that you got to meet MC, byoffer and bullzeye. Aren't they great?

    For some reason, I thought you weren't here until next weekend.

    I really like the ROM, but haven't seen the new extension. Maybe this summer with the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really enjoying your blog. And really enjoyed meeting you too.

    Too bad you didn't tell us about your "tour operator". Sounds nasty.

    Have you thought about taking the amphibian tour? It tools around Toronto and eventually comes to the lake, drives right in and you get a nice boat ride.

    From what I've seen, it's pretty packed full of info. And who doesn't enjoy a boat ride?

    We'll get you out of your shell a bit on Sunday, don't you worry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoo... Well...

    CTGirl, I am having a very pleasant time, seriously if you ever get the chance to meet up with MaroonClown, BYoffer and Bullzeye take it they are really fun and funny people.

    Pepe, I thought Queens park was quite nice, but I just walked up the road really, so I didn't take too much in, I did stop off at a Timmies on the way, and thought about catching the tube when I reached St.Paddies, but it seemed like a bit of a waste. Haven't really seen that much of London yet, but I am planning on walking as much of the city as I can tomorrow. When you say "good restaurants" can you give me an example ;-) I liked the new extension, but then I don't have the old facade to compare it to.

    Seana, They are probably the highlight of my trip so far it was so cool to meet up with them, I have left Toronto now and am typing this in London, I am back in Toronto this coming weekend which I think may have caused the confusion. I think that the ROM is probably perfect for children it isn't too big so they have something new to see all the time.

    MC!, Tour operator was annoying, however I now have my bearings in Toronto (or at least I can interpret the map now) so I am seeing things for myself. I was going to take a double decker tour, however thinking about it now the duck tour sounds like a very good idea.

    Ah Sunday, fancy a Margarita race?

    ReplyDelete