Sunday 31 May 2009

Toronto 2 Day 3 - Spiffing Day

What a simply spiffing day :-D

Woke up at about a quarter to seven, abluted, played on the computer a bit, and completed the quizzes, went down for breakfast and had a couple of slices of bread which were a sort of cross between a baguette and ciabatta, and simply lovely with butter, and a cup of coffee, I know I shouldn't really have had that since I was having brunch however I had a voucher for a free breakfast and I like using freebies!

Then set out, me and my new Indigo bag to the city halls, I think it is a lovely place for Kim and Abdul to get married, just wish I had come in a couple of months so I could see it! Actually I am on holiday that week...

Anyway I then purchased a three day ticket for a double decker bus tour, one had perused the leaflet t'other day and it passed right by the brunch location, and after the crappy tour I had on my first full day I really wanted to get a bit more of the history of the town and see things like Casa Loma. As it turns out this three day tour was slightly cheaper than the three hour one.

I then looked at Moby to see what time it was, unfortunately his battery is a little rubbish now, so he had completely discharged in a couple of days. Anyway I leapt on the first bus, there was only me and the guide on there, so I got personnal service until we reached the CN tower, the chappie was very pleasant and informative, then some other people got on, and he was still pleasant and informative, however over a loudspeaker.

The bus dropped me just outside the Hot House where we were having brunch, so I ambled around the car boot sale that was being held, tried a second cup coffee place, which was sort of a cross between Timmies and Starbucks, then I took some money out of the bank so that I could see what time it was, five minutes till brunchtime! So sauntered back to the Hot House, and joined the queue, just in front of me was a beautiful blonde with someone who could have played prop forward, they said that their table was called Skye, as it happened that was the name of my table as well! So when they were called forward I introduced myself, and apparently became the first OTer that Skye had met

:-) (sorry Mr. Yoffer).

So we went and sat down, and were joined almost immediately by Bullzeye, again it wasn't weird at all, just really nice to chat with these people, Mr. Skye was Dean, and whilst he was a little quiet (possibly overwhelmed by the serial killers) he seemed really nice. Then we were joined by Mr. Yoffer himself, he could only stay for an hour or so, but it was really nice to see him, then I get a little lost, I think Seana was next (yes I have met Seana, the person who hooked me on RTVW, I felt a little like a fanboy) she gave me some Canadian Tire money, which is well cool. Then we received news from Maroonclown who was running a little late but would like a Bloody Mary when she arrived!

We chatted for ages, it was really nice, although I was a little quiet, that is the way that I am, at least until some sort of dam breaks and then you cannot shut me up! The conversation was really nice and friendly, everyone seemed to get on really well, when MC and Mr. MC joined us that just ratched up the chatting a little, and I ordered a "breakfast Martini" which was a martini with a little marmelade in it! Actually it was really nice, eventually someone realised that although we were there for brunch we hadn't started on the food yet!

A very impressive spread, many types of bread and cakes (Seana remembered that I have a nut allergy ), roast salmon, and beef and ham carved off the bone, fruit, an omlette station, salads (although the couscous was a little larger than I have seen before) two types of sausage, bacon, scrambled eggs, potato wedges, chicken in blackbean sauce with noodles, chicken in a dark sauce, oh oodles of things. So I took some crab salad, prawn salad, olives, and some of the chicken, not sure what the dark sauce was, but it was very nice, and a couple of sausages.

More chatting, and another martini then Seana and BYoffer had to leave, the six of us remaining chatted on, and went for a second plate (well MC didn't, although I'm not sure why she certainly doesn't need to watch her figure) where I had some carved ham, potato wedges, and another piece of the chicken, I might have had something else but I cannot remember. More chatting, and then eventually the party broke up. I had a really nice time, if anyone is reading this and is worried about meeting people from the internet, a) make sure that you meet them in a public place, and b) don't worry if they are anything like the people I have met they are really going to be worth meeting.

Having parted from MC, Mr MC, Skye, Mr Skye, and Bullzeye :-( I popped into a chemists to get some water, over here Chemists are the equivalent of supermarkets in the UK, it must be confusing for them when they come over and try to buy a loaf of bread in Boots! And then stood waiting for the bus to come round, after a few minutes of standing out in the sun (I don't think I have mentioned that the weather today was glorious, it was a little nippy first thing, but even then sitting in the sun was lovely), the bus pulled up, it was the same one as this morning, and again I was the only tourist on it! So had a personal tour on the bus until we arrived at Casa Loma where four more people got on.

Casa Loma, I didn't get off today, that is the plan for tomorrow, however even over the trees it looks like a small castle, very pretty, but a sad story, apparently the matey who had it built owned the leclec, I think in Canadia, but it may have only been Ontario, anyway when it was nationalised he got not a penny out of it, and was evicted when he couldn't pay his rates.

A very interesting tour of Toronto, the chap on the bus suggested that the ferry to the island would probably be a better bet for me than the tour of the islands, so the plan is to see what time Casa Loma opens, and if it is in the morning to go there, and then to the island for lunchtime, otherwise the island in the morning (and maybe for lunch) and then to Casa Loma for the afternoon, I am determined to have a paddle though! And at some time I must find one of the Chinatowns.

Left the bus at city hall, and walked up to the Atrium centre (a different one!) where I popped into a bar because I needed to use the facilities, and had a Martini. Then popped next door to a sushi bar, where I purchased some sushi for supper this evening (flying fish roe! Not sure if that or fatty tuna is my fave), and ambled back to the hotel via a Tim Hortons.

Booked in for another night at reception, was thinking of going to Kingston, however I have decided that I would like to go to the St. Lawrence market, and possibly the zoo (or the science park) so I think staying on Tuesday seemed like a good idea, still not sure how to get to Niagara, however I am veering towards hiring a car from the airport, although the bus station is not too far away from me, and I have seen something about a shuttle from the Falls to Niagara on the Lake, so I am still not sure.

Popped back to my room, and then was called back to reception as the card that they had on file expires today, gave them my new card, and then returned to the room, did a touch of typing, and then popped up to the clubroom, it is on the 32nd floor, so I made sure that I was not in a scenic lift! It was very large, with wonderful views over the city (although I didn't get closer than six feet to the windows, niceish snacks, although not up to London ON standards, let alone Rotterdamn and one had to pay for alcoholic drinks :-| Stayed there for a while looking at the view, and now back to base.

All in all a very nice day, the weather was beautiful, I met some very nice people (who probably think I am dull), had a very enjoyable meal with then, had a super tour of the city, saw the city from the 32nd floor, and now sushi and a boston cream doughnut for supper!

BTW there is a series on the BBC wireless at the moment called ElvenQuest, which is most amusing. It is a humerous take on fantasy, but none the worse for that.

5 comments:

  1. It was fun to read about your time in Toronto today and about the peep meet. You got lucky on the tour and with the peep meet. Sounds like a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to see how peop[le from different countries view this one (even though Toronto is pretty foreign to us westerners :-) )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great read! I've had the pleasure of meeting some of the Toronto peeps (walking back to my hotel with Byoffer we spotted a bat hanging onto a street lamp post...)
    Some day you'll have to get out to the left coast and I can introduce you to baseball (and a delicacy know as the Dodger Dog).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Umm Moley? "Introduce" Star to baseball? Perhaps you missed that he went to a "real" ballgame yesterday with the Jays and Red Sux. :-) Dodger baseball got nothing in comparison to that...

    Yay for the peep meet! I'm still bummed I didn't get to come down and meet y'all, especially Star and Skye. Next time...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love reading your blog! Thanks for the compliment.

    And how dare you call yourself dull. You were extremely engaging. You're clearly the type that sits back and takes it all in. No need to fill in the quiet moments - unlike some of us - okay, unlike me. I'm a bit of a chatty cathy.

    ReplyDelete